Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Monday memories

This version of my usual Monday post is different from what I normally post.
Because this is where I spent my Monday...
with a heart gone haywire...
Luckily there was a diagnosis-why luckily? Would have hated to waste a sunny day for them to tell me nothing was wrong!!
What they found was that I have Atrial Fibrillation. My silly heart was beating fast and irregular for about 3 hours...and not for a good reason either!! Here is the description I picked up off the web:
Atrial fibrillation is a disorder found in about 2.2 million Americans. During atrial fibrillation, the heart's two small upper chambers (the atria) quiver instead of beating effectively. Blood isn't pumped completely out of them, so it may pool and clot. If a piece of a blood clot in the atria leaves the heart and becomes lodged in an artery in the brain, a stroke results. About 15 percent of strokes occur in people with atrial fibrillation.
The likelihood of developing atrial fibrillation increases with age. Three to five percent of people over 65 have atrial fibrillation.
Increases with age!! I'm not even 50 yet!!

I'm okay, they have me on blood thinners and a med to slow the heart down. Ugh, I didn't want more meds.
Anyway, I was determined to get something done that day, so when I got home around 8:30 I made cookies.

On to other news... on Saturday Teri and I attended a shabby chic type sale in Oregon City. Here is a picture of us before we headed out-thanks Gary. You can read more about it on Teri's blog.

Amy and I have begun the next 'history' album-nope not like Michael Jackson's.
This album is all about my brother's and I growing up. Lovin' it, putting in lots of stories,etc.
note to self: the 'girls' look horrible in this shirt!!!

Today I am off with miss gabriele to hit the craft stores, more photos later...

TTFN

2 comments:

annaliese said...

oh, Karin! I am so glad to hear that you are ok and that you did get a diagnosis ~ but sorry you had to go through that :(

I laughed when I read that you got home and baked cookies, though :) you are amazing!

and then i REALLY laughed at the 'girls' comment!!! oh how I love reading your blog :)

take care of you and keep that heartrate down!

Teri Leigh said...

Karin, WOW, what a scare you had. We will just pray you are not in the 15% category and nothing more develops. On a side note: we look fabulous, as Gary would say!
Love you tons

thanks for stopping by...