Monday, March 28, 2011

a Soul Restoration recap

If you have followed my posts at all you have read about the class I took online and about the projects I did. But I know I haven't completely outlined what I learned or how it changed me.
The gals at Brave Girls are having a little contest for those of us who went through the first online class. We are to write about our experience and then post links on their facebook page. If you are interested in reading the posts or even just helping me win...go read the posts and "like" those who inspire you...like me...
This first photo is of my clean new journal before class started. Just a spiral notebook from Michael's...the band is important as you will see...
yep-that is what it looks like now, full of fun artwork, my favorite papers and my soul poured out upon the pages. Here is another look to show you just how full it is and why I needed that band!

Oh look, there are more pages to do there at the bottom of the stack.

The first lesson I learned was what Peace would look like to me- silencing my inner critic, covering lies that Satan wants me to believe with God's truths. One of the great ways I do this is by putting my truth cards right on my dresser so I can pick one each day and then focus on those thoughts. (You can see some of the examples in my Soul Restoration catagory) I also so
appreciate the daily notes the the group sends. They are always life affirming and challenge me to look at things differently.

Looking through my life's timeline also showed me that some of the things I think of and about myself, crept in years before I thought they had. So I try to remember the little girl in me when I get to thinking about acting differently than my authentic self. I realize that the little girl had to grow up too fast and so taking things slowly and making time for play is really important to my soul.
I love the thought of authentic self. You sift things through what you know of life-but being authentic to me means being able to not have to change who I am for each person I encounter. Not having to reign in enthusiasm if that is what I am feeling. Not feeling guilty if what I feel like doing is just sitting and not thinking about anything in particular. How amazing would it be if we all felt the freedom to be real in each circumstance we encounter. Not having to worry about how to say something in such a way that nobody will be offended or challenged. It would be life changing for sure.

Some of the pages in my journal also hold the words to songs that I find especially meaningful like you're beautiful, you are more, what love really means, voice of truth. The songs that when they come on I crank on high and sing right along. Surrounding myself with life affirmation music changes the way I feel, as much as working on crafts or my journal does. The journal was an interesting project to get into. I have a girlfriend who for years has been doing art journaling. She has created amazing books that I love to go through and just relish the creativity. I always looked at journaling as a thing people did daily. Well I don't like the idea of "having" to do things and so I dabbled in journaling from time to time but the whole commitment thing blew me away. Besides each time I journaled I was dealing with the same problems. This time though I gave myself the freedom to journal as the feeling came to me. Having the prompts that went with the class helped me zero in on the issues I have dealt with for years. It enabled me to look at things differently and gently allow myself to feel again. I must say it is way easier to write my soul down on a pretty piece of art than on a big white page of blue lines.

I also liked the lesson where we explored "doing it anyway". By looking at each obstacle or situation I encounter which could have the potential to derail me and start me back into a spiral down and realizing that by looking at it differently, I could continue down my healthier path. I could essentially face the situation and "do it anyway" and still be able to go onto the next thing.

I think my favorite part of the whole process was when we wrote out our "instruction manual."
By writing down the things I do when I am on track or off track, etc. I have a tangible place that I can go to with concrete things to do to keep on the path to a completely restored soul.

Finally, today I made my promise book. This was the last project and I had to go and review the video to see what it was supposed to be like. I had done another book that was focused on God's promises to me. This was supposed to be my promises to myself. I had this little book in my stash from a thrifting trip. Since it was 2 ringed I was able to add an envelope, a photo card as well as other items from my inventory to create a unique book. I was amazed at how quickly I was able to fill it with promises. Things I came across during the class that remind me that I am a prize. A prize not only to God but to myself and those around me.
It has truly been an amazing experience and I am looking forward to part II coming in a few months.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am about to take the second session of Soul Restoration 1 and I am so excited!

thanks for stopping by...